Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Saucha: How Do You Tend To Your Skin & Hair?

Fellow Ashtangis, now that I am practicing 4-5 days a week on a regular basis instead of 3-4 I have to shower even more often and wash my yoga clothes and towel quite frequently as well. Therefore, a question arose in me, concerning the care of your skin and hair.

All my life I've learned that it's not recommended to wash the skin with soap too often (as in daily or even twice a day) because it disrupts the ph-value of the skin. Shampooing your hair every day is going to do some damage to your hair eventually, it will most likely dry out at the ends while the hairline gets greasy quite quickly.

But in Ashtanga it's recommended to wash before and after practice. So how should I understand that? Is it sufficient to wash with water only before practice when I've showered with soap after the last practice about 19 hours ago? Do you wet your hair when you shower before practice? Mine takes hours to dry, y'know!

Still, using soap and shampoo only once everyday is, in my opinion, very often (before Ashtanga I showered every 2nd day and sometimes I only used conditioner and no shampoo for the hair because I have dry curls). So what products do you use to tend to your skin (probably ph-adjusted soap) and care for your hair?

I know this question might be directed more towards female Ashtangis because I imagine as a man with very short hair there's no problem. But I'm thankful for every suggestion :)

5 comments:

  1. I don't know... I live in Rio and here everyone showers at least once a day, even in winter, and when it's summer people sometimes take like 3 baths a day. I don't think we have bad hair or skin because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you shower and bathe so often, do you use shampoo and soap every time?

      when it's really hot here (switzerland) in summer i sometimes shower twice a day but the one of the showers is only with water :)

      Delete
    2. I don't use shampoo, because my hair is REALLY dry, I actually only use shampoo every other day, I only use conditioner daily. But I always use soap.

      Delete
  2. jojoba oil with lavender essential oil added to it, for my face and neck every morning and evening..i used to forgo soap sometimes and just use the oil. i also discovered that almond or coconut oil before showering is really good too, and when i remember, i put some in my hair too. all that showering is drying to the skin, at least for me. i never thought about this at all at your age. i do still use soaps, but fairly mild ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tips! hm maybe i think about it at my age because i've always had to deal with very dry curly hair haha :D

      almond or coconut oil sounds like a great idea and they definitely smell super nice :)

      Delete