Sunday, 12 May 2013

Savasana Sawhatana Sawhatareall these thoughts in my head?

'I'm just here for the Savasana' says the smiling yogi(ni), who's working full time and is in dear need of some down-time.

(Image source: http://www.zazzle.ch/ich_bin_gerade_hier_fur_das_savasana_shirts-235191468868035447)

Somehow, I cannot believe this statement. I have heard and read it everywhere. The final pose after every yoga class, the final relaxation, seems to be so easy. Some people even fall asleep in it (which often leads to a cheerful atmosphere among the yogis who stay awake and are amused by the snoring).

You shouldn't fall asleep in Savasana, I think we all know that. But you should be able to avoid following your thoughts and the body should be passive and comfortable.

I can do neither.

Savasana is SO hard for me.

First of all, when I lie down, I'm always afraid my spine isn't straight. I also feel irritated when my shoulder blades don't receive the same pressure and one arm is spread from the body in different angle than the other. I always try to adjust so in the beginning of Savasana I'm a fidgety mess. When I finally think my body from the neck down feels okay, there's the problem with my head.

I am certain the shape of the back of my head is not suited for Savasana.

This might sound really weird, but let me explain: the back of my head is really, really round. The part of it that touches the floor is so round (and also kinda bumpy?) that my head always tends to tip onto one side when I relax my neck. There's no balance point - or I haven't found it in 10 months.

So either my neck is tense, but straight, or my neck is relaxed, but twisted to one side a little. It annoys me so much that I spent quite an amount of time in Savasana trying to find the perfect balance point (which seems inexistent) or realizing that my neck is the opposite of relaxed.

If I manage to get over this stage, there's always my loud, huge, annoying, curious, rude and adventurous mind.

Before doing yoga, have you ever realized how much we think, and how much of it is stupid chatter, not deep thought? I didn't.

If thoughts about the practice arise, that's half as bad, at least it's kind of in the moment, as long as you do not venture into them too deep and judge yourself. But if thoughts arise about what I'm going to do first after yoga class, or what belongs on my grocery list, or how I feel guilty that I haven't vacuum cleaned in a long time and let my flatmates do the task, or what e-Mails I still have to respond, that's what gets to me every time.

These thoughts are so mundane! When I catch my wandering mind, I try to return to my center, but the frequency at which my thoughts trail off, is quite freaky. So when I manage to kinda keep my focus (usually with listening to my breath or repeating a tiny mantra), guess what?

I notice the tension or flexion in my neck and I'm back to fidgeting.

Oh, dear Savasana, you are definitely not gentle on me.

I still have to figure out the lesson of this asana.

Or maybe I have already acknowledged its lesson and Savasana is such a pain in the ass for everyone?

Is 'I'm just here for the Savasana' simply a flowery phrase one says to fit in and seem humorous, not like that ambitious stern yogi in the corner we've all encountered before?

If anyone out in the www reads this, I'd love to hear your experience with Savasana and if you have any advice on how mine could become more pleasant, please share! :)

5 comments:

  1. This is cool! Don't be lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savasana used to be a pain in the ass for me, too. I just couldn't bother to stay there for 5, 10 or crazy 15 minutes and it frustrated me. It just got better over time... there wasn't a single "Oh now I'm going to enjoy this" moment, but it was a slow path and one day I just lay there and it felt good.
    And I guess around the same time I noticed that sitting meditation for 15 minutes wasn't as much hell as it used to be...
    Maybe your body just needs time to let go and stay present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your response, and thanks for following :) now i'm a little less lonely here!

      i guess savasana and meditation work just like everything else: you gotta practice, practice and practice...

      i still wish there was some kind of tiny pillow to rest my neck on though :)

      Delete
    2. Savasana used to be really hard for me too when I started, until I started doing some of David Procyshyn's videos on DoYogaWithMe.com, where he has a sort of "guided savasana", it helped me because I could focus on his instructions so my mind wouldn't wander so much. And know I truly love Savasana. But I'm also still super fidgety at the start, and sometimes I also can't find the balance in my head, or I can't relax my jaw. It also took me a long to figure out that I needed to be more spread out in savasana to be comfortable, and if I'm practicing with other people in a small space that is always a problem. Savasana is really not as simple as "just lay there" be the exploration is certainly worth it.

      Delete
    3. thanks, it's really good to hear other people's experiences, i find that you never talk about savasana with the other people at the studio.

      :)

      Delete