Friday, 17 May 2013

Belly trouble...help?

I know there won't be many people reading this, but those who do, if you can help me, please leave a comment in the box below :)

Okay, so since I started Ashtanga and grew a lot of muscles and got more flexible, my body has obviously transformed. But one thing I don't get is the transformation of my middle section.

Somehow, while my limbs are as slender as they always were, just more defined and with a prettier butt, my belly is round. Really, really round. On some days it looks like I am pregnant in 5th month or something.

I have, so far, analyzed this and came to the conclusion that there are several factors contributing to this:

1) My belly muscles are bulking out instead of developing in a flat way. But I'm trying really hard to apply my Bandhas in the correct way.

2) I don't eat a rigid yogi diet, but still fairly healthy with some chocolate or ice cream here and there, so there's a little layer of fat, but it's really no where near too much belly fat, I can assure you.

3) I am bloated, so damn often. It's annoying!

The bulky, round belly isn't a thing that I dislike because of beauty standards/fashion idols or whatever. It just gets in the way when practicing Ashtanga! Especially in postures like Marichyasana D and many forward folds.

Conclusion: I want to reduce the bulk.

So, my questions are:

1) What trick is there to the use of Bandhas and core strength that will help make the muscles strong and flat, like the ones all you other Ashtangis seem to have?

2) How often do you eat desert? What?

3) What can I try to reduce my bloating? Do you think I might be lactose or gluten intolerant? How do you prepare your veggies so you don't get bloated?

The worst thing is, since more than a week, I kinda suffer from loss of appetite, so I don't eat super much but my belly is waaaay out there all the time :-/

I'm grateful for any answer or suggestion,

Namaste!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it hasn't anything to do wih your digestion, but it also could be hyperlordosis... if your spine is hollow, your belly could bigger than it is.

    But if it is a digestive issue, there are a lot of possibilities. If personally suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and have gone through every possible test, so I know there are lots of things to consider. If you really think it's because of something you eat, you could eliminate that food for about a week or two and see if it makes a difference.

    As for the bandhas... it comes with time. I think everyone discovers the bandhas new after a while... you think you're doing a bandha, but then you have one practice and then you notice "Oh no, this is actually Mula Bandha.."... just really keep sucking in and up - at least that the descripton that has helped me the most.

    If you figure your belly troubles out, blog about it, I want to know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As it happens, I do have a hyperlordosis. But I think this is not the only reason, my belly really seems to be a bit troubled from the inside. I'm trying to cut out dairy products for a week next week and see what happens :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure how much help I'll be here, as I also have some belly fat. I think belly fat is the hardest fat to get rid of, because while we use our arms and legs in everyday activities, we hardly use our bellies (maybe somebody should help us figure out a way to walk on our bellies :-)). I've also read somewhere that whether or not you will be able to achieve zero belly fat is partly genetic/hereditary, and that only about 10 percent of the population are genetically endowed in this way. I don't know if this makes you feel any better...

    You could try cutting down on lactose/gluten for a week or so, and if you can notice any difference. I think Claudia has also written a few posts on how eliminating wheat from your diet can really help. Unfortunately, I am disciplined enough to do that myself. But you can always give it a shot, and let me know what happens :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will definitely cut out dairy for a week or so but wheat? haha i don't know if i could/would do that. but i'll check out claudia's posts anyways, thanks for the hint :)

      yeah i really don't want to eliminate all belly fat, it's actually really not a lot. somehow it just feels like my belly is blown up from the inside and that my core muscles are so bulky..so it gets in the way which is annoying when practicing :)

      Delete
  3. I meant to write "I am NOT disciplined enough to do that myself." Typed too quickly :-)

    ReplyDelete